Monday, February 28, 2011
How cute is her? I love her!
Here are Rose's top ten beauty and lifestyle secrets on how to look and feel great at 98:
1. Find your perfect perfume; people will remember you by your scent. Rose is known for her Pauline Trigere fragrance. She tells her granddaughter, "I'll give you anything in the world, but I won't give you my perfume."
2. Belts and Beads. Rose believes that a belt or unique strand of beads can really make an outfit, and they don't have to cost a fortune.
3. Take care of your feet and wear good shoes, but when you are going out for a night on the town, "Fashion comes before comfort." At 98, Rose goes out every single night!
4. "Walking is a must, it's better than doctors or medicine."
5. No need to use expensive moisturizers; Rose swears by Oil of Olay, which she has been using for decades.
6. "Inexpensive lipstick is as good as expensive, only better!" Rose has tried every brand from Chanel to Lauder and has recently been turned on to Revlon.
7. Be Unique: "If Everyone is wearing it, then its not for me."
8. "Be smart enough to know what you don't know."
9. If you have trouble reading the dinner menu, lorgnettes are a fashionable and elegant alternative to reading glasses.
10. "Be happy, enjoy what you have at every moment!"
Read the whole article here @ the huffington post.
Thoughts? Don't you love her?
Saturday, February 26, 2011
If you are in the US you might be unfamiliar with Zuneta but my UK ladies I am sure are very familiar. Zuneta is a fab online makeup store that carry hard to find brands online, such as Rouge Bunny Rouge (My absolute FAVORITE Highlighters), Hourglass (best eyeshadow and lipglosses of 2011 by far) and Edward Bess. They actually are the exclusive retailers of Rouge Bunny Rouge. Will talk about that more later.
Anyway, I came to a sweet holiday card in the mail with lipgloss in it! THANK YOU!
I have some lip glosses from Rouge Bunny Rouge and I love them, this one is from the line called Gleaming Temptations.
This is probably a color that I normall wouldnt have picked up because it looks to be berry but on the lips it is a perfect light raspberry your lips but better with shimmer. It is BEAUTIFUL. The shimmer is perfect for giving that pouty look and is not sticky at all. The quality is phenomenal, something i expect from Rouge Bunny Rouge at this point as everything I have tried by them is wonderful quality.
You can check out this gloss here, they have so many fabulous colors.
Anyway, I highly recommend Rouge Bunny Rouge and Zuneta. They have killer customer service on top of great products. Sometimes you can even catch a great discount code if you are lucky!!
Will you check out?
Thursday, February 24, 2011
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Reviews coming up within the next few days...
Did you pick up anything today?
I am an avid reader of Sandra's blog, if you haven't already checked her out, I highly recommend checking her out here. Anyway, I loved her wish list idea and remembered to actually do one!
Anyway, Let's go through shall we?
Bobbi Brown's Moisturizing EXTRA balm. Originally I just wanted the balm because I heard such rave reviews on it. I have super dry skin and I am needing something that does a HEAVY duty job. I used to LOVE La Mer and use religiously, but recently I feel that the new jars I have bought just aren't quite cutting it. Seems like the formula has changed.
Anyway, I just ordered the EXTRA set from Bobbi Brown here.
I just recently tried a sample of this self tanner by Clarins. I love self tanners but usually they smell and come out splotchy. Not this one, this is definitely a gradual subtle self tan. Highly recommend, doesn't smell as awful as most. I use St. Tropez religiously but I am going to get myself a jar of this and test drive it. The formula is lovely.
The new NARS matte lipstick in Madere has been calling the siren song of nude lips to me. This will be mine...very soon! You can buy here. This is such a me color, I have seen it and its gorgeous.
This is a re-fill, I have worn this lip gloss forever 8 years now and Sandra, reminded me I need another one. This lip gloss makes your lips SO plump and smooth. Great gloss and totally NOT sticky. I love the color Rose, its a perfect baby pink. I will review this in depth for you guys. Totally an HG must have!
Chanel Argonite Gloss, I swatched it in Bloomingdales and couldn't stop staring. Gorgeous rainbow shimmer. I even put it on my lips and my best friend 20 minutes later asked me what I was wearing on my lips. That sealed the deal! I had to have it! If you like MAC's dazzleglasses but feel like its too much. Try this, much more sophisticated Micro shimmer and OOOOPS I just bought this!
What have you been swooning after and lusting over?
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
What are some of my favorite, must go to spots in New York City?
I am going to break it down for you by:
New York City is huge and can be daunting if only visiting for a week. So many places to go, so let's get started.
Restaurants (I love eating out, these are just a few of my very favorites) This are scattered throughout the city.
- Cafeteria- Chelsea- the famous macaroni and cheese spring roles.
- Mole-West Village
- Peter Lugers in Brooklyn
- Delicatessen - Soho- You need to try the Cheeseburger spring rolls but everything is FAB here.
- Westville- West Village
- Marys Fish Camp- West Village
- Avra-Midtown- Mediterranean food
- Tao- Midtown
- Cafe Cluny- West Village- Best breakfast
- Bond St-Noho- Great sushi
- Nobu- Tribeca- Famous sushi
- Babbo- West Village
- Lupa Osteria- Soho- my favorite little Italian place, great wine and great food. My favorite dish is the Cacio e Pepe. Simple but perfect.
- Burger and Barrel- Burgers and tater tots. New to new york city but amazing.
- Momoya- Chelsea- great alternative to Nobu and Bond St.
- Cafe Habana- Soho- THE CORN!
- Dinosaur Barbeque- Harlem- Chicken wings sent from the gods.
- Mr. Chows- Midtown
- Grand Daisy Bakery- Soho- (not a restaurant a quick place to grad the best pizza ever)
- La Esquina - Soho- Chorizo Quesaduilla, the corn and watermelon juice. delish.
- Serafina- Upper East Side
- Phillipe- Upper East Side
- Carmines- Upper West Side
- The Mermaid Inn- East Village
- Kuma Inn- Lower East Side- A secret place that you need to hunt down but so worth it!
- Schillers Lower East Side - Garlic Shrimp, Mac N Cheese, Steak et Frites, Sticky Toffee Pudding
- Flex Mussels- Village- New find, amazing. My best friend took me here...if you love mussles and fries. You must go and try the Parma Mussels and the homemade salted caramel donuts for desert. oh wow!
- Apizz- Lower East Side
- Lure Fish Bar- Soho
- Balthazar- Soho- A new york staple
- SO MANY MORE....
- J.Crew Bridal on Madison- not only bridal but really special pieces.
- Bergdorf Goodman
- Some Odd Rubies
- Barneys Beauty Floor (Basement)
- Bergdorf Goodman Beauty Floor (Basement)
- Space NK- Soho
- Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)
- The Metropolitan- The met
- Museum of Natural History (My favorite- Dino's and Gems!)
- The High line Park
- Central Park- When its nice out, eat at the boathouse and take a canoe out for the day. SO FUN!
- The Whitney Museum- This is a personal favorite as my great aunt has photo's of herself hanging here shot by Andy Warhol. She was a friend of his back in the 60's. Cool!
As you can see I love to eat!
Thursday, February 17, 2011
I was rummaging through my bag yesterday and I realized there are certain products I use every day in the middle of the day to touch up with. I wanted to share some of my absolute must haves that I use all the time no matter what my makeup is for the day.
- NARS Casino Bronzer
- MAC 182 kabuki brush
- Stila Smudgestick in Lionfish- long wearing bronze liner (I like the bronze because it is dramatic without being harsh during the day)
- Prestige Skin loving minerals lip gloss in Soft peach - I LOVE THIS GLOSS! Total HG must have from the drugstore. Non sticky, cheap, nude, moisturizing, pigmented and smells like lemons!
- MAC Lipgelee in Bubble Lounge- perfect sparkly pink to add some oomph. This was from the champale collection and I love it. I love light pinks and lip gelee's are totally not sticky which I love.
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Yes, I have a DSLR now. I decided to go with the Nikon D90 as I am enrolled in a photography class and plan on advancing with photography. I already have some expierence with photography from highschool and college. If you want me to review the camera, let me know.
What this means for you?
Better pictures of course!
Here are some shots I have taken in the past few weeks just messing around.
Thought I'd share...
I will be sharing a lot of my photography on my tumblr as well as on my blog. You can check out my tumblr here for photo's and inspiration pictures http://beautyoftheday.tumblr.com/
Sunday, February 13, 2011
MAC and Makeup forever would be good companies to look at, as well as Illamasqua or NARS, if you are interested in delving into this fashion forward trend. You can check all of those out at Sephora besides MAC and well, you all know where to get MAC.
Specifically, I would recommend:
- NARS Grenadine here
- MAC Red Brick here
- Makeup Forever in Matte Cold Red here
- Makeup Forever Aqua cream here
- Illamasqua Liquid Metal in Resolute here
- Illamasqua Eyeshadow in Angst here
Check out the below looks.
What do you think?
Will you try it out?
Friday, February 11, 2011
I want to introduce you to my secret weapon throughout the year, bronzer. But not just any bronzer will do. Some bronzers turn you muddy, some turn you orange and some make you look straight up dirty! I hate that!
I used to be a devoted loyal fan of NARS Laguna bronzer, but I started to look in pictures and whatever and I had started to notice i was looking a bit muddy looking (Also, I absolutley hated that once I used a lot of it and it became a thin layer it would crack and crumble everywhere! A veritable DISASTER!).
I went to my trusty makeup artist that works at NARS at Bloomingdales and she suggested trying Casino (Check it out here) At first I was totally incredulous, Casino is DARKER! However, she was totally right, this because it had a true browner/ redder undertone rather than orange totally stopped the dirty look. Casino MUST be used with a light hand but with the right brush, this bronzer is a MIRACLE worked.
In the past year I have used this every day and have only gone through two, because the pigmentation is so much better you don't use as much.
This is a total must have and HG item for me and at $33 per 6 months, this is a great value. Again, if you are going to try NARS bronzers, even if you are pale, I HIGHLY urge you to go with Casino and use a very soft light brush, like the MAC 187.
Check it our here at NARS.com or sephora.
Oh! By the way! I only apply to the outer perimeter of my face, this avoids the over bronzed look!
Will you be checking this out? Picking it up? Have you tried? Love or hate it?
PS- Check out Muhsine's amazing blog over @ Bubblegarm here to see her comparison of Laguna vs Casino. If you dont follow her blog you should, she is one of my first favorite beauty bloggers!
Thursday, February 10, 2011
I have had a few events to go to and I was EMBARRASSED to even show skin, but I didn't want to look like a NUN completely covered up from head to toe in the typical New York City uniform of some concoction of black clothing.
I fervently dug through my arsenal and came up with something I totally forgot I had, NARS Body Glow (I swear I heard that noise in movies that designate heaven, you know, like that ahhhhhhhh in harp like tones?).
Thank god I found this because with one generous application to my shoulders and decolletage I looked normal again. Dare I even say sun-kissed but in a naturally glowing way. I looked more glowing than "Tan".
Yes, this is pricey @$59 but this will last you a LONG time, I'm talking YEARS! This oil also has some great skin benefits because it uses Monoi Oil and Coconut extract. Soothing and Moisturizing. Check it out here. You can buy here at NARS.com or Sephora.
I highly recommend picking up a bottle of this if this winter is totally getting you down and making you look like Casper the not so friendly ghost. Even better, if you are naturally darker this will emphasize your gorgeous color without adding sparkled, just a refined golden sheen that smells like a vacation to the tropics or better yet the Maldives.
Will you be picking this up?
From Models.com " Birth Date: June 12, 1987 Country of origin: Australia. Hailing from down under, Abbey Lee Kershaw, got her big break after winning the 2004 Girlfriend Model Search. Since the fateful contest the Aussie beauty has risen through the ranks to become one of the most coveted faces in fashion. As of 2009, has 8 tattoos. "
Even beter... Abbey is COOL! Abbey Lee Kershaw is about as anti-fashion as a model can get. She has a nipple and nose ring. She has mentioned in interviews that her idea of a good time is drinking beer and listening to music in her underwear. She also cites the thing she misses most about her home country (Australia) is walking around barefoot! My kinda chick!
This isn’t, of course, the side of Abbey Lee that we see on the runway. She has walked for Alexander Wang, Chanel and Rodarte (she refused to walk in Alexander McQueen’s final show because of the heels- she takes her ankles seriously) and she’s been in V Magazine, Numero and Vogue Italia.
Anyway, lets take a look at some of my favorite shots and candids of her and see really how versatile she is.
Who is your favorite model?
Wednesday, February 9, 2011
Anyway, I am super excited to check out the new Illuminator shades in Copacabana, Super Orgasm and Laguna.
Check out Emma's Blog here to check out the full review and more pics.
By the way, you should totally follow Emma's blog, she always has sneak peeks at brand new products before they hit the stores or most other blogs!
Check out this blog, http://rougedeluxe.blogspot.com/2011/01/nars-illuminator-in-super-orgasm-and.html for pics as well!
Have you seen these around yet?
Will you try them out?
PS- Is anyone going to be at Mac + Milk Studios tonight?
Monday, February 7, 2011
I am so excited to see once of my favorite trends coming back into style...the WIDE LEG and the BELL BOTTOM. Hurrah!
On top of me absolutely loving everything about the 70's these jeans are INFINITELY more figure flattering than the ubiquitous skinny jean.
If you are not a stick figure with tiny pin legs I can guarantee this trend is something that will be 100 times more flattering that the skinny jean. I know personally, for myself, this style elongates and thins out my legs just as well as some liposuction (wink wink).
One especially stylish person that automatically comes to mind when i think of a wide leg bell is the stylist du jour, Rachel Zoe. She has been rockin' these pants for a few years now. Girlfriend know how to look skinny and work with your body. I have almost never seen her in a pair of skinnies!
Anyway, lets have a look....
What are some of my faves for the season?
AG is one of my personal favorite brand of jeans. The farrah is calling my name here. I also am loving the bell flare below. The AG store is one of my fave's in New York in Soho on Greene St. I def recommend checking them out!
J brand is always a good one, check them out here. You can pick these up basically anywhere, bloomingdales, intermix or their own website.
Check out this new brand Mother here.
Last, but not least 7 for all Mankind.
Sign me up for a pair of vintage washed bells and a tan pair of wedges.
Will you be embracing this trend?